Spencer is nestled along the banks of the White River in eastern Owen County. As the county seat, the Owen County Courthouse sits on the square in downtown Spencer. Located 55 miles southwest of Indianapolis, it is flanked by Bloomington to the east and Terre Haute to the west. more >>
- HAZARD MITIGATION GRANT PROGRAM The Town of Spencer
has been awarded a Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) through the
Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) in the amount of $1,414,842.
There is a local match of $353,710, but fortunately the Indiana Housing
& Community Development Authority (IHCDA) is providing Spencer with
a grant to cover that local match. This program is designed to purchase
properties that are in areas which have been frequently flooded and return
the land to green space.
A timeline has been developed in order to get this program underway and to provide relief to those property owners who have chosen to participate in the program and who were part of the application.
July 5, 2011 - Town Council Meeting - Approve documents to solicit Request for Proposals (RFP) from Grant Administrators [Completed]
July 13 & 14, 2011 - Spencer Evening World- Legal Advertisement published Soliciting RFP's for Grant Administration of the FEMA HMGP and the IHCDA Comunity Development Block Grant for the local match [Completed]
July 29, 2011 - Municipal Building - Sealed RFP is due by 4:00 PM ET. [Completed]
August 1, 2011 - Town Council Meeting - Sealed RFQ's opened. Lowest responsible bidder that meets all the criteria specified in the solicitation request will be selected along with one alternate. [One bid received. Negotiations in process]
August 15, 2011 - Town Council Meeting - Contract for Grant Administration tentatively scheduled to be awarded.
Upon execution of the contract between the town and the Grant Administrator, the buy-out program will begin in earnest and continue with as much speed as is possible until all property owners in the program have been contacted, their cases reviewed, their properties appraised and a purchase offer made for them to consider. Click here to send an email with questions. Otherwise, contact the Municipal Building, 90 N. West St., Spencer, IN 47460 or call 812-829-3213. See the Government page for hours.
- NEW CLERK-TREASURER SELECTED FOR SPENCER On Monday, June 27, 2011, Cheryl Moke was sworn in as the new Clerk-Treasurer for the Town of Spencer to fill out the remaining term of office through the end of 2011. Contact information can be found on the Government page.
- Spencer Town Council Secures $3,550,253 In Grant Money For Our Community Between 2008 - 2011, the Town of Spencer has received nine federal and state grants. Some of these grants were a direct result of the flood of June, 2008. Others came from such sources as the COPS Community Policing Grant, IHCDA's Home Owner Occupied Rehab program, INDOT's Safe Routes to School program, and the Office of Community and Rural Affairs (OCRA) Storm & Sanitary Sewer Planning Grant. To see the complete list, click here.
- Tivoli Community Center Plans are progressing to restore
the Tivoli Theater in downtown Spencer and to create a Community Center
within the building. Vickie Maxey and Owen County Preservations, Inc.
have been working hard to bring this project to fruition. A community
wide public hearing event was held on July 19, 2011 at the Christian Life
Center. More details fo follow.
- 5 Buck Duck Race August 20, 2011 - Noon. Cooper Park, Spencer, IN. For details, click here.
- Our Community Bank (OCB) Celebrates 100 Years of Service to the Community On August 5, 2011, OCB - Our Community Bank held its 100 year celebration event at the Owen County Fairgrounds with tremendous turnout from the community. The Spencer Town Council presented Kurt Rosenbberger, President and CEO and the OCB Board of Directors a Key to The City for their contribution to the financial well-being of our community.